Developments in 3D software and computer capabilities gave us the ability to efficiently construct a virtual model of the Antares catamaran. This gave us the ability to evaluate the functionality and aesthetics of a wide variety of configurations and concepts. The model was more accurate and informative than mechanical drawings and complements modern manufacturing processes.
A 3D visual representation of the whole vessel or selected components was developed within seconds and then rotated for inspection from all angles. A virtual person was placed on the model to ensure that ergonomic issues were correctly assessed.
While taking advantage of innovations, the Antares design team established certain target characteristics to maintain the Antares flavor:
- Good performance under sail or power.
- Comfort underway and at anchor.
- A feeling of continuity and community in the boat’s public spaces.
- Primary safety through professionally engineered structures and manageable sail-handling gear.
- Secondary safety through watertight bulkheads and energy-dissipating structures.